Tuesday 9 February 2010

A kind friend!

A very kind friend gave me this Singer sewing machine. She gave me the machine back in July and then in October she had managed to find the key for the box. Shame on me I only opened the machine back in December. I think it still works, will have to check it out!

I would really be interested in finding out how old it is, it does have a serial number on it so that will be a start. If anyone has any websites they could recommend to find out its age that would be great.

5 comments:

Andrea Paulie said...

Hello!!! My friend Emma (bagladde) has just sent me the link to your blog as she thought I might be interested in this post!! I inherited a singer (a bit older than the one in your photo I would say) when my dad passed away last year, mine was my grandads and it still has the manual dated 1915 so its 95 years old...if you do a search on google there is a singer website where you can look the serial number up to the year it was made,,I would say yours is from about 1940 ish...hope that helps! I LOVE them..they are gorgeous!! :-) x

Diane said...

Hi Vanessa, my mum still uses her old singer!! Glad you stopped by, your blog is really lovley. xxd

Josie-Mary said...

ooohhhh that's so lovely. I could really do with a hand machine as my head isn't connected to my feet!!! I can't help you with the date :( x

Siank said...

My great gran bought hers in 1929 - still got the original receipt. I'd say yours is about the same.

m said...

oh my god what a FANTASTIC friend :o) It's just beautiful. Hope it works, I'm sure it will. Old things are sooo much more reliable than stuff that's produced nowadays. Michelle :o)